So I have made my top 10 list of how I know when I am not paying attention or focusing:
1. I am showering and I am not sure if I have already shampooed my hair or shaved and have to do it again.
2. When I am driving and I get to my destination and I do not remember the drive along the way.
3. I pick up the phone to call someone and in the middle of it ringing I forget who I am calling and panic looking for the name and number I just dialed.
4. When I am having a conversation and respond not accordingly and realize it was not relevant at all to what the other person was saying and they look at me funny.
5. I am walking along and all of the sudden I fall off the curb or run into something or someone that is standing still.
6. I am out marketing to my target market and their giving me every signal they are interested in my product and I am not in rapport with them and do not even notice the buying signals.
7. When I am doing mind numbing activities like watching TV or on the computer playing around and my child wants my attention and I do not notice they are saying Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom………………………………
8. I walk into my home my mind is still somewhere else and I put down my keys and when I go to leave again I have no idea where I put them.
9. I go out to a networking event with the purpose of creating new connection for business and I am looking around the room I am not in the moment with the person standing in front of me and have no idea what they are saying or what their name is after they just introduced themselves to me.
10. When I get to work and you look down and notice I have one blue sock and one white sock on. Or, I only put eye make-up on one eye.
And, Bonus #11…. I go to put the dirty laundry in the laundry hamper and throw it in the garbage can or vis-a-versa.
As you can tell I could go on and on… I am sure you can even see yourself in a few of these examples. We all from time to time daydream and our minds are wondering off.
What is at risk? What really are the consequences of not being in the moment. Are we so rushed, under pressure, or even bored that we are not able to be in the moment? Are we so unappreciative of what we have that we are always looking to something else for fulfillment?
I am not sure what the answer is for all of us, and I do know that when I am not in the moment I am missing out in so many ways…
How do you know when you are not in the moment, and what is at risk for you?
Please share your thoughts and ideas below.
Wishing you the best,