Have you seen that new show Revolution? The premise of the show is that one day all power suddenly shut off. No cars, no computers, no large scale food production, no antibiotics… nothing.
I want you to think about a disaster that epic in proportion and then I want you to imagine that you have a solution. You and a small team of people you choose have the knowledge and skills needed to resolve the crisis, turn the power back on, and save hundreds of millions of lives.
Every person on your team will prove critical to the mission.
Who do you choose? Who would be on your dream team for a mission this important?
There’s that word again. “Dream.”
If it seems like we keep returning to it over and over and over again… we are.
The only way to get the business you want, and therefore the life that you want, is to get clear on what that is. Otherwise you have no idea what you are getting in to.
Nowhere is it more important to figure out what you want than it is with your team, and yet this is the hardest area for most of us to dream about. Some people have never even considered what they want in a team. Some people have thought about it, yet they hesitate to change anything about the team they have in place currently. And some people still think they can do it all themselves. Yet we all need a team around us. Why not create the best possible team? How do you create that team? First get really clear on your vision in order to understand what is needed to make ourselves, and our enterprise, as successful as it can be.
Consider these questions when dreaming up your best team:
- Who around you pushes back at your ideas causing them to be more thought out and ultimately executed in a strategic manner that delivers results?
- Who offers wildly creative and innovative solutions to common challenges, allowing both you and the organization to leap ahead of the competition?
- Who is willing to share the bad news and tell it to you like it is?
- Who pushes you to grow and develop as a leader?
- Who inspires you?
- Who do you want to consistently impress?
- Who do you turn to for knowledgeable advice?
- Who do you really want to work with?
Now take this one step deeper. You are a part of your own team – in fact, you are leading it. What will it take for you to be a person you actually want on your side?
- Who do you need to be in order to be a person you want and need on your team? What actions will you have to take to get there?
Running the best business you possibly can may not be quite as dramatic as turning the power back on and saving the world, yet it is no less important for you, your employees and your family. It’s vital to put a team in place that understands that.